Skip to main content
IP Helpdesk logo
IP Helpdesk
News article20 September 2021

IIT Madras crosses 1,000 patents generated in India and abroad

The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has reached an important milestone by crossing the mark of 1,000 patents registered by researchers and academic institutions in India and abroad.

Dedicated campaigns have been undertaken in recent years to steadily increase the number of patent filings in India. Against this backdrop, IIT Madras has enabled patent filing through awareness campaigns among academics and students, says Ravindra Gettu from the Centre for Industrial Consultancy and Sponsored Research (ICSR). A dedicated IP Cell has also been established at the Centre for Industrial Consultancy and Sponsored Research (ICSR), which conducts intellectual property (IP) awareness programmes regularly to sensitise students or faculty on the importance of IP protection and monetisation.

As of March 31 this year, the total number of patents filed in India was 1,204 and the total number of international patents filed was 529. Of these, 155 patent applications were filed in the USA. IIT Madras bears 70 % of the cost of filing foreign patents with the applicant covering the remaining 30 %.

Details

Publication date
20 September 2021

Related links