- intellectual property | plant variety right
- Live streaming available
- European Innovation Council and SMEs Executive Agency
- Number of seats
- Entrance fee
- This Webinar is offered free of charge
Time: 10:30 am - 12:00 pm (CET – Central European Time UTC +1) - the webinar session will open 15 minutes before the official start
Host: European IP Helpdesk & CPVO
Ms. Cécile Collonnier, Technical expert at CPVO
Ms. Montserrat García-Moncó Fuente, Head of Legal Service at CPVO
Level of Expertise: Intermediate
The perpetual changes of societal, economic and environmental conditions constantly urges plant breeding actors to provide growers and consumers with suitable solutions to an increasing number of challenges especially within the Agri-food Sector. Science offers support to the breeding sector through new genomic techniques (NGTs) and the European Union co-legislators endeavour to keep up with a technology in constant evolution in the intellectual property sector and beyond.
This webinar will provide an introduction and illustrate the shortcomings of the legal framework on genetically modified organism (GMOs) when applied to NGTs. The speakers will also give an overview of the current political discussions on the matter. The need for a reform is clear but which values should shape the new legal framework in order to truly foster innovation in the EU?
- Latest genome editing techniques and their potentialities for plant breeding.
- Legal European framework concerning GMOs.
- Do all new breeding techniques result in GMOs? The current position of the EU on GMOs.
- Dissenting opinions and challenges for a future-proof legal framework in the EU.
Duration: 60 minutes (presentation) + 15 minutes (Q&As)
Assistance: For any technical assistance or questions, please contact the training team at: firstname.lastname@example.org