Each case study provides key takeaways for stakeholders in universities, other public research organisations and businesses. Overall, they demonstrate the importance of patents for technology transfer to start-ups, spin-offs and established companies.
- intellectual property | technology transfer | quality of life
- Live streaming available
- European Innovation Council and SMEs Executive Agency
- Number of seats
- 1000 Participants
- Entrance fee
- This Webinar is offered free of charge
Time: 10:30 am - 12:00 pm (CEST) - the webinar session will open 15 minutes before the official start
Host: European IP Helpdesk and EPO Academy
Expert: Ciaran O’Beirne, Head of Knowledge Transfer
Moderator: Stephanie Weber, Communication Manager, European IP Helpdesk
Level of Expertise: Intermediate
Case: Atlantic Therapeutics
Research collaboration between University College Dublin (UCD) and Bio‑Medical Research (BMR) led to the development of a novel training device for the treatment of stress-induced urinary incontinence. UCD licensed the technology to BMR, which validated the device in clinical trials, secured regulatory approval and launched it in Europe. BMR established Atlantic Therapeutics as a spin-out company to secure investment to target the US market. Atlantic Therapeutics, its flagship product, offers patients safe, non-invasive and cost-effective treatment for stress-induced urinary incontinence, improving the quality of lives.
Improving quality of life
- In academy-industry collaborations, recognise all partners' needs and define incentives and criteria so that the company can act as the commercial partner.
- A joint ownership management agreement is necessary to facilitate later commercialisation if joint foreground IP is anticipated.
- The deal structure should always be benchmarked so that it is fair and reasonable and reflects industry norms.
- Agree on key development and commercial milestones early, to guide and facilitate market success, but be willing to amend as necessary.
Fee: The webinar will be offered free of charge.
Assistance: For any technical assistance or questions, please contact the training team at: firstname.lastname@example.org